Friday, April 24, 2020

TRC Questions #5: Application and Prayer

In light of the discussion about trusting God versus testing God, and the brief synopsis the I gave about the decision-making process that Shane and I are employing, I wanted to offer the following reflections about application and prayer on this topic.

Application Questions


  • What are some ways where you have seen God's providence in common, everyday ways? Can you make a short list of ways that God provides for you through ordinary means?
  • Who are some of the wisest people that you know? What makes you think of them as "wise"? How do you see trusting in God's providence linked to wisdom in them?
  • What are some ways that you are tempted to test God instead of trust him? 
  • How are the wise people in your life responding to the pandemic? What responses do you consider to be foolish? Do you see others testing God in their words and actions, in response to the pandemic?
  • What questions do YOU feel need to be answered satisfactorily, before you will feel comfortable with Trinity Church resuming regular corporate worship? Where will you turn for answers to those questions?
  • What questions do you believe the elders need to ask and answer before we should call for resuming regular corporate worship? (Would you list them in the comments to this blog please?)

Prayer

  • O Lord, give me patience and wisdom at all times, and help me to trust in you and your divine providence. Protect me from the temptations to doubt, act foolishly, or test you in any way.
  • Father, during this season of isolation during the pandemic, grant me a particular wisdom to act in trust of your providence, and guide me away from testing you by my words, actions, or thoughts.
  • Dear God, give me wisdom about how much I should expose myself—and through so doing, also expose others—even after civic leaders have lifted restrictions about "social distancing." Let my trust in you, and in the advice of those who know and understand how pandemics function, guide me in my actions. 
  • Lord, grant wisdom and insight to the elders of the church as they seek answers to the questions they are asking regarding resuming ordinary worship services. Help them, that the decision to resume would be neither too soon nor too long, but when it is good, right, and fitting to do so.
  • God, sustain all of us with patience and perseverance during this strange season of isolation, and help us to endure well through the remainder of the time when we must isolate. May it be all that much sweeter to gather once the isolation is lifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment