Friday, March 27, 2020

Trinity Questions #1: Praying

Over the last two days we've looked at 1 Corinthians 10:23–24 and thought about what it means for Christians in times of crisis. Specifically, we've discussed the attitude that Christians are called to take on, all the time but particularly during seasons of challenge like the one we are in right now with the Coronavirus pandemic.

That passage exhorts us to live in light of a few facts which should shape the love we show for neighbor: that just because something is lawful doesn't make it good for others; that we are to focus on that which is helpful and builds up others; and that we should seek our own good first, but the good of others.

In light of these, what are some ways that we can pray?

For Ourselves

Lord, for myself I pray...

  • That I would learn to put the good of others before my own good, so that it would become second-nature to me to love my neighbor in this way.
  • That I would have discernment to recognize those things that may be lawful, but which are not helpful or that do not build others up—and that I would have the discipline to deny myself of that which is not helpful or edifying to others.
  • That I would be shaped more and more into your image, so that denying myself, taking up my cross, and following in your path of serving those around me would become my identity.

For the Nation/World

Lord, for all that is going on in the nation and world right now, I pray...
  • That Christians all over the world would heed what your Word teaches us about love of neighbor, and would take measures to live in light of that during this pandemic crisis.
  • That your church would shine as a beacon of service, selflessness, and sacrifice during this crisis, in the way that she has during other eras, so much that even the hardest-hearted among us would glorify your name because of the deeds of your church.
  • That citizens everywhere would display acts of kindness and care for their neighbors, and that you would move each to turn aside from selfishness for the sake of others.
  • That the leaders of nations would have wise counsel and make wise decisions about what measures to enact in order to address the needs of the people they serve, and that they would pursue that which is good, just, and right, not seeking their own interests.
  • That you would ease the difficulty, quell the pain and suffering, and comfort those who are grieving in the wake of this virus; draw near to those who have been affected by it, and draw them near to you in faith.

For Rossville

Lord, for the community of Rossville, I pray...
  • That the leaders of local government would wisely guide and direct the community through this crisis, and be responsive to the immediate needs of our community.
  • That the citizens of our community would know how to serve one another during the pandemic, and would do so out of love for neighbor and a selfless heart that you have given to them.
  • That Trinity Reformed Church would be an instrument of your grace and peace throughout the pandemic season, serving each other and those outside of our congregation faithfully and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment