Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reading goals for 2010

In reviewing the books I read last year for my "best of" post the other day, I saw some holes in my reading that I want to accommodate better in 2010.

In the course of a year, I read a lot of books-- probably between 50 and 75-- and I cover a wide range of subjects. Last year, I read a good number of books on prayer (naturally, since it was the Ministry Focus for the year at my church), church ministry, preaching, counseling, and Bible exegesis (especially Luke). I was low, so to speak, on a few subject that I want to purposefully read more of this year:
  • Biography/history-- I've never been a big fan of either, but I'm slowly learning how to find more value in it. I'm looking forward to starting with a biography about one of my heroes, D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: Lloyd-Jones: Messenger of Grace by Iain Murray.
  • Systematic/Biblical Theology-- As much as I love to think about, write about, and discuss theology, I haven't spent a lot of time reading it lately, at least not in books. Last year, I read only a couple of theology titles; this year, I intend to read at least six or seven, starting with Christian Focus's recent republication of The Marrow of Divinity by Edward Fisher.
  • Philosophy/Ethics-- I was a philosophy major in college, and love to read it; but it has been years since I read any substantial amount of philosophy. I aim to pick up at least a few titles in the ethics category this year, maybe starting with Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Ethics.
There are a couple of other categories that I intend to read heavily in during 2010:
  • Worship-- since it is the Ministry Focus for this year, I plan to spend a lot of time on this subject. Right now I'm reading The Liturgical Year by Joan Chittister; two on the short stack are Give Praise to God: A Vision for Reforming Worship (celebrating the legacy of James Montgomery Boice), edited by Philip Graham Ryken, Derek W. Thomas, and J. Ligon Duncan, III; and The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship by Jeffrey Meyers.
  • Bible exegesis (especially Genesis and Acts)-- I start a new sermon series on the first part of Genesis this week; when it is done (probably in mid-summer), I'll start into the first section of Acts, and ping-pong back and forth between Genesis and Acts all the way through both. I've got Dennis E. Johnson's Him We Proclaim: Preaching Christ Through All of Scripture on my table at home, and I'll be digging into the nine different commentaries I have on Genesis more and more through the coming months.
What are you planning to read this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment