Monday, May 16, 2011

Good tunes transcend genre

I've mentioned before that I think good pop songs translate into bluegrass well. I think this might be a more broadly-applicable truism: good songs (or tunes, in the example below) will carry over well into different genres pretty easily.

Witness, for example, this song from acoustic guitar genius Andy McKee:



Now, here's the same tune performed in a heavy metal style:



Pretty good either way, right? Aside from the fact that it took the heavy metal guy three tracks (rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and a drum track-- I can't tell for sure if there's a bass track, but I don't think so) to do what Andy does single-handedly-- or, well, double-handedly-- I'm impressed either way.

Say, maybe this explains why Darius Rucker has been able to make the transition to country music!

No comments:

Post a Comment