Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rejoinder about DADT...

In my recent post about the "Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell" (DADT) policy, I stated that I felt like the overtures to General Assembly were poor because they represented support for a compromise toward sin.

At General Assembly, more information came to light about this situation.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Department of Defense has been tasked with reporting on whether repealing the DADT policy would have a detrimental effect (or any other effect) on the function of our military. What came to light at G.A. was that our chaplains, specifically those in certain roles and positions, had been asked to voice their perspective on this
by the Defense Department. In other words, the PCA, through its chaplains, was given a platform and a voice to speak about homosexuality.

This changes things a great deal. I still think that DADT itself is a compromise-- but I also think that this represents an opportunity to speak frankly about homosexuality and the sin involved in it from a biblical perspective. In light of that, I supported the overture as it was (but it doesn't matter now whether I supported it or not, because the Assembly voted in favor of it-- which means that I support it now either way).

No comments:

Post a Comment