Monday, April 5, 2010

Books for March 2010

Here are the books I finished in March (plus a couple of Patrick O'Brian titles I finished in February but didn't make the list):
  • HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian (re-read): as I mentioned in February's list, these are some of my favorite books, and I'm reading through them again. This particular title is one of my favorites in the series. (10)
  • The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian (re-read) (10)
  • Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian (re-read) (10)
  • The Fortune of War by Patrick O'Brian (re-read) (10)
  • The Surgeon's Mate by Patrick O'Brian (re-read) (10)
  • Born Standing Up by Steve Martin: I've always liked Steve Martin's comedy and acting, and lately have been increasingly impressed with his versatility as an actor, screenwriter, art collector, playwright, novelist, musician, producer, and memoirist. This memoir/autobiography was a fun and quick read, and left me wanting more at the end. I guess I'll have to pick up another of his autobiographical works in the future. (8)
  • Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston: I've always been curious about beekeeping, and was surprised and grateful for this random gift from some cousins (thanks, Rob and Tamsey!!). Very interesting, and well-done, this one gave me a very good overview of the the work/resources involved in beekeeping and many of the concerns, dangers (so to speak), and benefits. Plus, now I have a title from the "animal husbandry" category... always diversifying my library. (8)
  • The Ionian Mission by Patrick O'Brian (re-read) (10)
  • The Lord's Service by Jeffrey Meyers: one of several books that I'm giving attention to, since this year's Ministry Focus is worship; Jeff's book gives a thorough and helpful discussion on the biblical and theological foundations for so much of the way we worship, both in the church in general and at HWPC. There's a lot of good meat here, and it's a valuable book; however, it's both thick and at times dense in content, and maybe wouldn't be the kind of thing I would give to just any church member. (8+)

No comments:

Post a Comment