Monday, July 27, 2009

Book deals

Over the weekend, I went to Barnes and Noble-- tomorrow is Molly’s 5th birthday, and I was sent to pick up one of her gifts, a fairy storybook.

On the way in, they had a cart with books marked down to $1! Who could pass that up?

So, how did I do?

The Moral Life (Second Edition) by Louis P. Pojman. This is an excellent reader in ethics, combining literature and philosophy. So far, I’ve thumbed through several of the excerpts and essays, and I’m quite pleased with what I’ve found. Pojman is/was known for his very balanced approach to even the most difficult issues in ethics, and therefore is a fine choice for compiling and editing a book like this.

Best of all, the price. Remember, I paid
$1. The current sale price at Amazon (for the third edition, admittedly) is $54.00.

Visual Research by Ian Noble and Russell Beasley. This is a book in a series about graphic design, and this one focuses on how design communicates sometimes highly complex concepts, and more than that, how the process of research in graphic design works-- did the message intended get communicated? If not, how could it be better? and etc. I’ve just flipped through this one, but it looks interesting. Okay, so it probably won’t make the stack of the next several books to be read, but I’ll get to it someday.

Again, the price stands out as one of the things that makes this one such a sweet deal. I paid
$1; current Amazon price is $29.00. (By the way, the original sticker price on this on at B&N was $49.00!)

I love books, and I love good deals-- so I
really love good deals on books!

No comments:

Post a Comment